ICT Tools in Teaching / Learning ProcessMrs. Reema A. Bhavsar (Primary Teacher) | 24th December, 2015 Back to Blog
The present situation of the ways of teaching / learning shows the two major facets of the world (i) Education shapes the future of the students and (ii) Technology shapes the way of education. The select topic presents the changes in both the Education System and Information and Communication Technology. Besides it portrays the intense relationship between both of them. The write-up here answers the questions like: Can modern ICT Tools affect the “Teaching & Learning” process? Is the change found in all the spheres of education? Are the changes beneficial to the education system and society or harmful?
ICT refers to the Information and Communication Technology and Tools. They play vital role in teaching and learning process for students and teachers respectively. The teachers are using web tools and online resources for teaching. A digital classroom changes the typical classroom teaching and ‘chalk and talk method’ in an innovative way. It gives exposure to the students to learn the subject using the audio-video tools. Apart from this, the teachers get their knowledge updated in the subject.
- » The web tools like presentations and video resources give the variety of visuals and detailed analysis of the subject and the content.
- » The learners get the fully detailed idea about the particular topic by the use of ICT Tools like CD/ DVD, computers, blogs, multimedia, search engine, audio/ video conferencing and social media.
- » There are websites of the education boards like, GSEB, CBSE, ICSB that provide with the latest updates for the teachers and give other information helpful to them about new policies, rules and regulations along with the reference materials.
- » Besides this there are worksheets, sample question papers with answers and activities guide available to make the teaching more innovative and creative. It helps the teachers to gain the knowledge about the works done by other teachers and share his/her own with them.
- » The websites like slideshare and youtube offer the multipurpose platform to receive and give the information. The followers, viewers and commentators prove to be the critic and show the worth of your creation.
- » The explanation of chart, diagrams, models, projects and new innovations become easy for the teachers using the web resources. They can share their students work at the global platform using the web tools. It becomes the promoting strategy for their students.
- » The blogs seem to be the digital diaries for expressing your views, thoughts and creations. They can do the peer commenting and everyone is able to access the writings and works just by clicking on their friends or batch-mates.
- » Even the experts’ views and research work can be used for online resources. This gives the fundamental information in all the subjects like mathematics, science and even art & craft.
The communication tools and social media apps like: Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, blogs, e-mails, etc. provide their users with the ample amount of opportunities to talk and share their thoughts and views to the people at the global platform.
- » In communicating using Short Message Service (SMS) or twitter the character-limit is given to the users which limit them from using the full-forms and whole spellings.
- » The write- up on the social media goes viral and once the word is popular with the users, it is repeated.
- » It affects the language in a way that abbreviations have become more familiar with the students for example: “gm, btw, brb, bro, 2, n @, …”. The vowels are missing in chatting in short forms as it offers speed in typing like : “bff, tk care, c’m on, b thr”.
- » It has become common to get the spelling and grammar error checked and they are auto-corrected by the computer. So even when the students are making mistakes in spellings and grammar they are not cautious about their usage. They become carefree as they have the computer and phone to correct them.
- » The students were practicing the letter writing in the formal and informal way in all the languages. Now-a-days the e-mail writing has taken place of the correspondence. The errors in spelling and grammar are there because of the abbreviations and missing vowels and unusual mixture of two languages especially the use of “Hinglish / Gujlish” is noteworthy in the speech and writing done by the students.
- » In typing and chatting casually with the friends the above mentioned things are considered blessings but when it comes to academics the students are prone to the wrong methods and usage of language.
- » The significance of correct spellings, appropriate grammar and developing vocabulary is not taken in consideration by the students. If they are comfortable using the mixed languages and code- switching why would they care for getting the exact word suitable for the situation.
- » It de-motivates the curiosity of the learners to find the exact wording, prepare for the spellings or translation of particular words and phrase. They tend to avoid long and creative writing and develop the habit of “Copy-paste work”.
- » The originality is not found in write-up of the students because they are getting the ready and easily available access in all the subject content makes it vary easy for the students to prepare the assignments, fill up the worksheets or project works.
The concepts of “e -Learning and m-Learning” have become popular with the learners and teachers but they have the harmful effects in teaching and learning. There are the barriers of infrastructural facilities available to all the classes of society in India. In addition to this, all the people are not Digitally Literate. The internet connectivity, speed and cost remain to be the other hurdles to be crossed.
ArchivesYear 2018 (15)Year 2017 (58)Year 2016 (30)Year 2015 (8)